In 1961, the Councils of Churches in Rock Island County, Illinois and Scott County, Iowa, merged to form the "Council of Churches of Scott and Rock Island Counties". In 1971, Roman Catholic and Orthodox congregations were welcomed into membership and in 1990 we were renamed "Churches United of the Quad City Area" to reflect our expanding vision of the faith traditions in our community.
The roots of Churches United's Hunger Ministry were established in 1976 with the opening of 10 food pantries. This program has become the largest provider of free food in our bi-county area with 24 food pantries and 3 free hot meal sites serving dinner every day of the year.
In 1997, Churches United proposed that the churches of the Quad Cities work cooperatively with one or more human service agencies to form a network system designed to effectively and efficiently link church caring resources and community needs. CareLINK provides emergency financial assistance to households and individuals.
Winnie's Place - Women In Need, Nurtured Into Excellence - opened in December 2006. Our emergency shelter for women, with or without children, who are homeless and/or survivors of domestic violence aids women and children experiencing life-threatening situations. Winnie's Wishes Resale Shop was established to help fund Winnie's Place. The shop, originally located at 902 E. River Drive in Davenport, moved to 1605 Harrison Street in 2015.
Churches United of the Quad City Area encompasses a cooperative association of 140+ churches representing 20+ Christian Faith traditions in the greater Quad Cities area.
STATEMENT OF BELIEFS
We believe that:
- Jesus Christ is our Lord and Savior
- We express our oneness as the Body of Christ and we celebrate the richness of our diversity.
- As we speak and act in unity we become more effective in ministry and mission.
- As the Body of Christ we are called by God to reach out cooperatively, with sensitivity and responsiveness, to the needs of the community through specific ministries.
- The Christian community is strengthened by participation in ecumenical worship, study and service.
- As the Body of Christ we are called to be an ethical and moral voice to the community.
The mission of Churches United of the Quad City Area is to:
- Serve the Community
- Revitalize the Church
- Celebrate Christian Unity
Strategies to Fulfill Our Mission
- Direct Service Ministries
- Cooperative Ministries
- Witness Ministries
- Advocacy Ministries
- Growth Ministries
- Celebration Ministries