In 1961, the Councils of Churches in Rock Island County, Illinois and Scott County, Iowa, merged to form the "Council of Churches of Scott and Rock Island Counties". In 1971, Roman Catholic and Orthodox congregations were welcomed into membership and in 1990 we were renamed "Churches United of the Quad City Area" to reflect our expanding vision of our community
In 2011, Churches United celebrated its 50th year with Kathleen Kennedy Townsend as guest speaker at the Delegate Assembly held at St. Paul Lutheran Church in Davenport. Music composed for the event by Bill Campbell was performed by the composer and the Maia Quartet.
The 2011 celebration continued with the 40th Anniversary of Crop Walk in October and in December. Winnie's Place completed it's 5th year of operation and, on October 8, 2011, "Winnie's Wishes Resale Shop and More" opened at 902 E. River Drive to benefit Winnie's Place shelter.
Churches United of the Quad City Area is a cooperative association of 136+ churches representing 20+ Christian Faith traditions in the greater Quad Cities area.
STATEMENT OF BELIEFS
We believe that:
- Jesus Christ is our Lord and Savior
- We express our oneness as the Body of Christ and we celebrate the richness of our diversity.
- As we speak and act in unity we become more effective in ministry and mission.
- As the Body of Christ we are called by God to reach out cooperatively, with sensitivity and responsiveness, to the needs of the community through specific ministries.
- The Christian community is strengthened by participation in ecumenical worship, study and service.
- As the Body of Christ we are called to be an ethical and moral voice to the community.
The mission of Churches United of the Quad City Area is to:
- Serve the Community
- Revitalize the Church
- Celebrate Christian Unity
Strategies to Fulfill Our Mission
- Direct Service Ministries
- Cooperative Ministries
- Witness Ministries
- Advocacy Ministries
- Growth Ministries
- Celebration Ministries